It’s possible for a chicken that is female undertake external characteristics of a male, a phenomenon known as intercourse reversal. (To date, spontaneous intercourse reversal from male to female has not yet been reported.) Genetically and anatomically, a chicken which has had skilled intercourse reversal continues to be a hen, nonetheless it has secondary faculties similar to those of a male.
Typically, several observable variations in the sex that is secondary of roosters and hens occur (as shown in Figure 1).
Included in these are the following distinctions:
- A man has a more substantial human body, brush, and wattles compared to feminine.
- In single-comb birds, a man’s brush is turgid and appears erect, whereas the feminine’s may flop up to one part.
- A man has bigger, more developed spurs compared to female.
- Although both sexes have actually the ability to typically crow only the male does.
- The male has more variety of coloring in his plumage than the female (except for breeds of which the males are hen-feathered, such as the Sebright and Campine breeds) in multicolored varieties.
- The male has much much longer and much more pointed hackles than the feminine.
- Both sexes have actually primary end feathers, but just the male has feathers that are saddle sickles.
Fig. 1. Contrast for the outside appearances of a male chicken (top) and a lady chicken (base). Source: University of Illinois. Combined with permission.
So how exactly does sex reversal occur that is spontaneous? Typically, a chicken that is female only 1 functional ovary, the remaining one.